Tuesday, November 26, 2013

My Black Belt Test

Last Saturday, I took my black belt test. During the course of the test, I vomited several times, became so fatigued that I could not stand, and took several blows to my head (wearing protection) that I became somewhat disoriented. I’m proud to say I survived it!


In martial arts, black best tests are often seen as a demonstration of the skills acquired by the applicant while studying at the dojo. In KOUSHINKAI Karate, there is an added element of perseverance, what we call the ‘Spirit of Osu’, that must also be clearly demonstrated. I knew this prior to my test. I spent the month prior to the exam practicing kata, using HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) inspired workouts, practicing and increasing the number of pushups/sits ups/squats I could do, and working on my kumite combinations. In KOUSHINKAI Karate, all tests are catered to push each individual to his/her limit, the instructor recognizes individual limits vary, and is conducted with safety as top priority.

There were a few things that surprised me about the test itself that I also believe are worth mentioning. Being nervous definitely contributed to my fatigue. Also, doing pushups/sit ups/squats x 100, and essentially achieving muscle failure in my major muscle groups, affected my kumite a lot more than I anticipated. I felt like I could barely stand, let alone use foot work. When I got hit in the torso, I lacked the core strength to tighten up. It felt like I was getting hit while I was inhaling each time. Since we were striking full contact, it had a big impact on my performance. Finally, while I had practiced fighting with head protection, and had taken blows in practice, the fatigue factor greatly impacted my body’s ability to handle head strikes. In fact, having watched the video of the kick and hook I received to the head, I realize that there were not even thrown with full strength, thank goodness, and yet when I received them, it really did feel like a hammer was being swung at me! I feel like this has much more to do with being exhausted to the point of not being aware of the attack.

KOUSHINKAI is a self-defense oriented karate style. We do not focus on martial art as sport or performance art; we use traditional karate ideals to improve our abilities in practical self-defense. I believe my test showed two things. First, my consistent practice and dedication to my art has paid off. I wouldn't have survived what I just went through 3 years or even 3 months ago. Second, I have much to learn and can improve in many areas. I’m excited to continue my journey. 

Osu!

Theo R. Okawa